Highlights of the Kedarkantha Trek
The scenic drive from Dehradun to Sankri The mountain roads here are long and serpentine with sharp curves that open up to gaping views of the valley below. Swift mountain streams run parallel to the roads in many sections. Half an hour into the journey, you will see the Doon valley retreating below and a striking view of the Queen of Hills – Mussoorie on the mountain range afar.
The mythical Juda Ka Taal Campsite The lake changes landscape with every season. During the winter months it is usually frozen with temperatures varying from as low as -7 degrees to 16 degrees. The campsite transforms into a winter wonderland during this time with the naked branches of trees adorned in snow, the frozen lake coated in a silver sheen and the land all around carpeted under a blanket of snow.
Bewitching forest glades with phenomenal view The trek from Sankri will take you through an uneven path with sparse conifers along the way. Not far ahead, the tree line begins to change and you’ll come across towering Maple and Oak trees with the sun playing hide-and-seek all along.
The Kedarkantha Base Camp The trek to the Kedarkantha Base Camp is comparatively steeper than the previous days. The trail takes you through primeval Oak forests that get denser as you veer through. Further ahead, you will be welcomed by a carpet of Rhododendron blooms covering the trail with bursts of red and pink.
The thrill of a summit climb before dawn Negotiating a steep ascent in the dark in icy cold winds and low temperatures are some of the challenges that make this experience absolutely exhilarating. At the break of dawn, as you reach the summit you will be greeted by a 360 degree view of mountain peaks like the Gangotri, Yamunotri, Bandarpoonch, Swargarohini and Har Ki Dun amongst others.
Kedarkanta Trek Itinerary
Day 1- Dehradun To Sankri |8 hours drive |190km|
• Reach Dehradun, we will drive towards Sankri, which is the starting point for the trek.
• Reach Sankri by evening arrival assistance followed by the introduction of our Trek leader and Support staff.
• Post-check-in to our designated hotel/homestay, the rest of the day is at leisure and you’re advised to relax and prepare for the journey ahead.
• The dinner will be served in the evening followed by an overnight stay in Sankri Village.
Day 2 | Sankri to Juda Ka Talab (2,774 m) | 2-3 hours’ trek| 3 km|
• The day will start with morning Tea at around 06:00 AM.
• Followed by that, the day will start with breakfast and a day briefing session from the Trek Leader end.
• Afterward, we’ll start our trek, the first checkpoint for the day will be Juda Ka Taal Campsite.
• Upon reaching Juda Ka Taal Campsite, we’ll have lunch.
• The rest of the day is at leisure.
• Dinner will be served in the evening followed by an overnight stay at Juda Ka Taal Campsite.
Day 3 |Juda Ka Talab to Kedarkantha Base Camp (3,429 m)|2-3 hours trek |3 km
• The day will start with a morning tea, followed by breakfast.
• The Trek Leader will give you a day briefing before starting out for the Kedarkantha Base Camp.
• Afterward, we’ll start the trek towards the Kedarkantha Base Camp, which takes about 2-3 hours.
• Upon reaching and checking into the campsite, we’ll have hot lunch. Kedarkantha Trek
• The rest of the day is at leisure and we’ll relax with things like snow fighting, group activities and more.
• Lastly, we’ll have dinner at the campsite followed by an overnight stay at Kedarkantha Base Camp.
Day 4 |Kedarkantha Trek base camp to Kedarkantha Summit (3,810 m) and back to Hargaon (2,713 m)| 5-6 hours trek| 8 km|
• The day 4th is when we trek towards Kedarkantha Peak.
• We will be needing an early start today, the group will trek up to the Kedarkantha Summit. Kedarkantha Trek
• After reaching the summit, we’ll enjoy the view from the top and witness the famous sunrise from this place.
• Shortly afterwards, we’ll start back for the Kedarkantha Base Camp once again. Kedarkantha Trek
• Upon reaching, Hot Lunch will be served at the campsite. Kedarkantha Trek
• It’s last night at the campsite so we will have a farewell bash. Kedarkantha Trek
• Overnight stay at Hargaon Campsite. Kedarkantha Trek
Day 5 |Hargaon – Sankri – Dehradun|8 hours drive |190km|
• After a hearty breakfast, we’ll trek down to the Sankri Village from Hargaon Campsite. Kedarkantha Trek
• The path to Sankri is filled with stones and is basically a descent through pine trees with a stream on our left which is a good spot to fill water.
• Upon reaching Sankri, we’ll stop and freshen up at our designated hotel, hot lunch would be provided.
• Shortly afterward, we’ll be out again, moving towards Dehradun. (Reach Dehradun by late evening).
Things to Carry for Kedarkantha Trek
External straps and loops and easy to open compartments access.
A reusable water bottle/hydration flask – 1.5-2L.
Nutrient-dense with oats, nuts, seeds, and fruit.
- Weather Appropriate Clothing
Warm and waterproof clothing for winters, wind and waterproof jackets
A textured grip with rechargeable batteries.
Sunscreen, wide-brim hat, and sunglasses.
Umbrella, opt for waterproof & windproof rain jacket for winters.
Good grip, flexible sole, good ankle support, snug fit, water-resistance and are easy to wear/remove.
When the weather changes in the mountains (as it happens every few hours), you can take off or put on layers as required.
Lightweight – cotton/bamboo/linen/microfiber easy to dry. har ki dun trek trek solo , har ki dun trek from dehradun , har ki dun trek valley , har ki dun trek blog
Hand sanitizer, biodegradable soap, toothbrush, toothpaste, cotton washcloth,toilet paper, a menstrual cup (if necessary) or feminine hygiene products and a sealable plastic bag to carry them out.
First aid for emergencies har ki dun trek from deharadun, har ki dun se konsi nadi nikalti hai , har ki dun altitude , har ki dun best time to visit
Normal kitchen garbage bags to keep the trails you trek beautiful, clean, and free of garbage.
With a flexible sole and good grip, water-resistant. Kedarkantha Trek
How to Reach Dehradun
Dehradun By Air/Road
Located around 22 km southeast of Dehradun, the Jolly Grant Airport, also known as Dehradun Airport, connects the city to almost all major domestic destinations.
The airport also has easy access to the holy towns of Rishikesh (20 km) and Haridwar (30 km).
Dehradun is well-connected by road to other major cities of the country via NH 72.
Regular deluxe and normal buses to the city are easily available from ISBT Kashmiri Gate, Delhi.
Dehradun Railway Station connects the city to all major cities of the country such as Delhi, Mumbai, Lucknow, Kolkata, Varanasi and Vadodara.
From outside the railway station, you can take a auto rickshaw or hire a private taxi to reach your desired destination.
You can also find treks near sankri Village-
First sunrise of the year