Kashmir Great Lakes Trek Overview
- 1.1 Trek location
- 1.2 Altitude of KGL trek
- 1.3 Height of the Kashmir Great Lakes Trek
- 1.4 The difficulty level of KGL
- 1.5 Highlights of Kashmir Great Lakes Trek
- 1.6 Distance of KGL
- 1.7 KGL weather
- 1.8 Best season to visit KGL trek
- 1.9 Activities in Kashmir Great Lakes Trek
- 1.10 How to reach Great Lakes Trek in Kashmir:
- 2 Things to Carry
Kashmir Great Lakes Trek Overview
Kashmir Great Lakes, a.ka. KGL trek, became increasingly popular and now probably the most coveted trek during monsoon in Indian Himalayas. Kashmir – “The paradise on earth” is truly unfurled during this 7 days’ walk covering a distance of 65 Km.
Several high altitude lakes, alpine meadows dotted with tiny wildflowers, exquisite campsites make this journey a fascinating one.
Consequently, the KGL trail is the Best of Kashmir, what locals call Jannat E Kashmir, a piece of paradise on earth.
Kashmir Great Lakes Trek is one of the Top Treks in India and it is the most popular trek in Kashmir,.
The stellar beauty of five alpine lakes lapped in the dreamscape of Kashmir – can you think of a more beautiful combination?
Kashmir Great Lakes is a name that sets every trekker’s heart racing – and for good reason! The Great Lakes of Kashmir Trek is easily the most beautiful, picture-perfect, postcard-worthy trek we run.
The trail of this Himalayan Trekking leads you through five alpine lakes, each as beautiful as the other. The lakes follow one after the other every day, making each day equally exciting.
Remember the rush and excitement of a pass day/summit day?
Well, multiply all of that by 5, and you have the Kashmir Great Lakes Trekking – each day a beautiful, new lake to look forward to.
What’s more interesting is that you get to see these lakes just as they are being fed by the snow-clad mountains. If you are lucky enough, you may even chance upon an occasional iceberg floating across the pristine blues and greens of the lake.
The beautiful, albeit distorted reflections of the surrounding mountains on the surface of the lake, is also something to look forward to.
Given the arduous, undulating trail, Kashmir Great Lakes Trekking demands commendable fitness.
This trek is located above Sonamarg (or Sonmarg), which lies on the Srinagar-Leh highway just before the Zozila Pass. The true beauty of Kashmir lies in the hidden valleys that are not accessible by road.
Kashmir Great Lakes Trek may be a moderate hiking trail within the western Himalayas of the Kashmir region. The base-camp Sonamarg lies on the Srinagar-Leh National Highway.
The ending point Naranag village is additionally connected with an equivalent Highway. The trek are often wiped out both ways,
but to flee the direct Sun it’s recommended to commence the trek at Sonamarg and end at Naranag because it treks mostly during a westerly direction.
The Kashmir Great Lakes Trek because the name suggests treks through many high altitude alpine lakes situated at the foothills of various snow-clad mountain peaks. the foremost famous lakes are Vishansar and Gangabal Lakes.
Altitude of KGL trek
It crosses streams, many colorful alpine meadows, and ascends three mountain passes with a mean altitude of 4000m above water level .
the very best peak of the trek which dominates the second part of the trek is Mount Haramukh standing at 5300 meters above water level .
The Kashmir Great Lakes Trek expedition is not any enter the park. Arduous days, steep mountain passes, and altitudes approaching 4000m demand a sure-feet and an honest amount of physical and mental fitness.
The difficulties of the trek are rewarding and therefore the challenges are worthwhile for the sense of accomplishment . This trek of the Kashmir is that the most beautiful and most serene of all treks within the Himalayas.
Height of the Kashmir Great Lakes Trek
The difficulty level of KGL
- Trek is Moderate
Highlights of Kashmir Great Lakes Trek
- The Kashmir Great Lakes are renowned for their feel-good Vibes all around the place and therefore the astounding views. The Kashmir Great Lakes trek is far famous site not only amongst the Indian ones but also having hype amongst the foreigners who crave the character and its wonders.
- Kashmir Great Lakes is that the benchmark amongst all the lake treks across the country. because it covers all the essential spots which a tourist and trekker seek for.
- The place is rich in nature’s bliss and having a thumping effect on your perceptions about Kashmir’s nature. the location is usually being crowded with character lovers and therefore the adventurers who seek to explore new horizons of thrill and adventurism.
- The Kashmir Great Lakes Trek may be a perfect package that one must choose to witness and knowledge the super amazing and most memorable experience of your life. Meanwhile, the place is actually blessed with the scintillating views all around which puts you in such place where you’ll detox your inner self and cleanse with the sacred energy everywhere.
- The place has long-lasting and genuine healing effects on one’s heart and soul. The place can make your heart smile and let your heart fill with sheer joy of happiness.
- The Great lakes trek is having an alternative and commercially been known by the name of Sonamarg-Vishansar-Naranag trek.
- Basically, this trek is an alpine and located at the high altitude trek in the Kashmir valley. There are few lakes in this basket but the Gadsar trek is having its own mythological background. As such the Gadsar lake is also called by the name of Yemsar lake.
- And as per Hindu mythology, Yama is been entitled to the death and which ultimately gives Gadsar a fanatic title of the lake of death which is a bit sarcastic. Kashmir Great lakes trek is been considered as to be the most majestic and luxurious trek in whole India.
- As such there’s nothing to argue on it, it truly justifies every adjective and every single word which has been used in its appreciation. It truly deserves and the place itself is much mesmerizing and heartwarming one.
- If you’re in the search of that place that can make you feel more stronger and help you to heal your voids within you then it’s the one-stop destination to unleash all your trivia and to give you utmost. The place is a powerhouse of mystical and fairy touch in every step of your trekking which gives you super thrilling and enduring wibes.
- Every step and every sighting on this trek is having its own story and own flavor. be it a nature, or whether or the sky everything you’re going to witness is having super special touch.
- Kashmir Great lakes have been visited by foreigners that too in much better numbers and the numbers are increasing as its getting wider popularity.
- This trek is the epitome of all the adjectives been there in any language for the beautiful as it truly deserves to be entitled by those tags.
Distance of KGL
The complete trek distance is approx. 42 miles that is 68 Km.
The days at the plains of Srinagar can be warm between 25 to 30° C, the mountains are pleasant. The sun can be harsh during the day when overhead. Evenings and nights are balmy hovering around 5 to 8° C at the high camps
Best season to visit KGL trek
The best time to enjoy the Kashmir Great Lakes trek is in between the June and September as the greenery and the blooming flowers are at their best during this calendar period. It’s so that a beginner in trekking can also join this trek.
- Gadsar Lake is one among the lakes which has its presence during this astounding and splendid site. Gadsar Lake caters to you with supreme and lots of amazing vibes which may cause you to feel with joy and happiness everywhere .
- The lake caters you to the foremost wonderful landscapes which may melt anyone’s heart with joy and delight. The lake gives that essence and therefore the fringe of a wholesome experience to relax your inner self and refresh from within.
- The second place that comes into the image is that the vishansar lake. The place which is far luxurious with the ravishing great thing about nature. The lake has the soulful and sacred vibes everywhere .
- The vishansar lake gives that energy which calm experience that creates oneself blissful.
- The Gangabal lake also been referred to as the gangbal lake just having a difference of 1 alphabet. as you’ll see the glimpse of we Indians and our obsession with the holy Ganges. The lake is been located at the bottom of the mount Mount Haramukh which is been situated within the Ganderbal district.
- The lake has crystal clear water which provides tourists and therefore the backpackers feeling of refreshment right along . The mountains surrounding thereto and their depiction within the water even gives more pleasant vibes everywhere .
- The lake having a length of two and a half kilometers which may hype any of the tourists undoubtedly. The lake enjoys attention by the hikers and therefore the tourists on a far better scale and tourists also love this trek to go to and explore.
- Satsar lake is that the one which is that the abbreviation of seven alpine lakes situated within the Kashmir valley. The lake is rich within the greenery everywhere and therefore the mountains act because the catalyst to form it more attractive and majestic within the perception of tourists.
- Even its far-reaching beauty cannot be hidden within the pictures which you will be watching on the digital platforms. The star lake comes with an environment that’s much relaxed and full of refreshments all around. The star lake has its own genuine features which make this place more ravishing and more luxurious.
- And albeit there’s summer or dry days are happening still the mountains gives it a foothold over all others and still make it more seductive and crave for the backpackers to go to and explore.
- Then comes the widely popular and therefore the pride of Srinagar Dal lake. The lake is been tagged with the urban label as its located and situated within the developed a part of Srinagar and been a fundamental attraction amongst the visitors and tourists.
- As its been a crus of tourism within the Kashmir its been known by many of the titles intrinsically the lake of flowers , the jewel within the crown of Kashmir, and lots of more on the list. The place truly deserves and justifies all the appreciation and therefore the refore the applauds which it gets from the tourists and the visitors.
- Though the lake is been dominated by the burden of communication still it hasn’t been lost its luster and shine because it gives an equivalent joy and lightness that the backpackers and visitors search for .
Activities in Kashmir Great Lakes Trek
- Sonamarg to Nichnai
ALTITUDE- 7,800 ft, TIME TAKEN: 6 hours, 9 km. The 04 km is that the gradual ascent to the tabletop point. The trekkers are advised to fill two bottles of water for the day’s trek. there’s a Dhaba on the tabletop point where one can have tea /coffee/snacks. One can see the spectacular view of Sonamarg from the tabletop point. Then the hike are going to be continued till the lunch point. The timber line ends at the lunch point.
It’ll take approx 1 hour from the tabletop point to the lunch point. Form the lunch there’ll be moderate ascents till the Nichnai campsite. it might be around 3 pm or 4 pm by the time we reach the Nachnai campsite.
- Nichnai to Vishnusar
ALTITUDE- 11,500 TO 12,000 ft, TIME TAKEN: 6 hr, 12 km
The first 5 km till Nachnai pass is normal ascent. The altitude of Machina pass is 12000 ft one can get a mobile network on the highest of the Machina to pass there’ll be normal descent of 4 km from the Machina pass till the lunch point. From the lunch point to the campsite 3 km. This section of the trail crosses through beautiful and picturesque meadows. it’ll be a traditional walk till the Vishnusar campsite . The campsite is near the vicinity of the gorgeous Vishnu sir lake.
- Vishnusar to Gadsar via Kishnusar Lake and Gadas pass
Altitude 12000 ft to 12500 ft, Time is taken8 hr, 13 km, Today is that the best day of the trek with many flowers on the way. After 1 km of normal ascent from vishnusar, is thebeautiful kishansar. After Kishnasar Lake 5km steady ascents to the Gadsar pass, 13800 ft, which is that the highest altitude within the trek. you’ll see two lakes from Gadsar pass, Vishnarsar, and Kishnasar.
From Gadsar walk 4 km with a view of tons of flowers on the thanks to reach Gadsar Lake, have lunch by the lakeside. After lunch walk, 5 km through meadows 2 reach the campsite, Based the military camp 12000 ft.
- Gadsar to Satsar
ALTITUDE 12,500 ft to 12,000, TIME TAKEN: 4 hr, 8 km
Carry sufficient water bottles because the source are going to be a touch far. Just after starting the trek, there’ll be a river crossing. then a simple walk by the mountainside for five km with a traditional ascent you’ll see Naga Parvat of Pakistan, which mostly remains covered by clouds.
Take rest and therefore the campsite is simply 4 km from here. there’ll a traditional ascent, after which comes the military camp where your ID are going to be checked. After the military camp, you’ll see 7 lakes. Reach the campsite around
2 pm then on arrival, you’ll be served hot lunch.
- Satsar to Gangabal
ALTITUDE 12,000 ft to 11,500 ft, TIME TAKEN: 4 hr, 9km
At the beginning of the trek, you’ve got to cross a 2 km boulder zone, after which the last ascent of the Kashmir Great Lakes trek starts which is about 2 km. After the ascent you’ll reach the 2nd highest pass of the trek 12,900 ft. you’ll see 4 lakes from the Zag pass, 2 of which is big and a couple of small.
Attempt to reach the travel by 10 am. you’ll see the large Harmukh peak from the Nandkul -Gangabal pass. Then you’ll climb up a 2 km zig-zag ascent and 1 km right down to reach Nandkul Lake, The campsite for today. you’ll reach Nandkul lake by lunchtime, which is 4 km from pass.
- Gangabal to Naranag
ALTITUDE- 11,500 ft – 7,450 ft, TIME TAKEN: 6 hr, 11 km
Judgment Day schedule starts by crossing the river, then a 5 km walk will lead us to trees, you’ll find trees from here till downhill, the foot of
How to reach Great Lakes Trek in Kashmir:
Srinagar Airport is well connected to the major cities of the country. Frequent flights ply from Delhi, Jammu, Mumbai, Bangalore, Chandigarh, and Kolkata. Srinagar airport is about 70 km away from Sonamarg.
Sonamarg is accessible from the other parts of the country via the National Highway 1D. The Srinagar bus stand is about 87 km away from Sonamarg, and sufficient public buses are available from Srinagar to Sonamarg. The Srinagar Bus Stand is well connected to Delhi, Chandigarh, and Jammu
The Jammu Tawi Railway station is the most convenient stop, from where frequent buses and cabs are available for Sonamarg.
We Are Not Lazy To Carry Medical Kit
- Avil 25mg
- Norflox TZ & Lomofen
- Crepe Bandage
- Betadine Or Any Antiseptic Cream
- Move Spray
- Oxygen Cylinder
Things to Carry
- Backpack 65/90 L
- Water Bottle
- Energy Bars
- Weather Appropriate Clothing
- Warm Jacket
- Flee Jacket
- Sun protection
- Rain Protection
- Flashlight And Extra Batteries
- Extra Pair of Clothing
- Personal Hygiene Kit
- Mini First Aid Kit
- Personal Medication
- Trash Bag
- Moisture Cream
- Warm Hat
- Insect repellent
- An emergency whistle
Also, Visit Near By Adventure Activities